CCC to host 25th anniversary celebration of African Heritage Month

0
1241
CCC Professor Manu Ampim (Photo by Mike Kinney)

By Mike Kinney

Contra Costa College will host the 25th silver anniversary celebration of African Heritage (Black History) Month on Thursday, Feb. 8.

The whole community is invited to the event, which will take place from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Knox Performing Arts Center at the corner of El Portal Drive and Castro Street.

The Africana/The African American Staff Association (AASA) & Africana/African American Studies Program of Contra Costa College is sponsoring the celebration, according to CCC Professor Manu Ampim.

“There will be reflections from AASA pioneers, student voices, an historical presentation on classical African art and major building projects, and a cultural performance by the acclaimed West African dance group Diamano Coura (“those who bring the message”),” Professor Ampim said.

The evening’s theme will be “Cultural Arts: From Classical Africa to the Americas.”

Ampim is a Professor of History and Africana Studies at CCC and director of Advancing the Research. He recently authored “A History of African Civilizations,” the fruits of years of extensive research both in historical literature and in the field traveling in 22 African countries.

“I wanted to take my knowledge outside of the classroom and share it with the general community,” he said. “So sponsoring events such as this year’s 25th silver anniversary celebration of African Heritage (Black History) Month here at Contra Costa College is a way the community can come together and join us in a very enlightening event.”