Arrest made in alleged murder of Richmond man with vehicle

0
4009
Arrest made in alleged murder of Richmond man with vehicle
Photo of Roman Seabock, 20, courtesy of RPD.

Richmond police have arrested a suspect believed to have intentionally struck and killed 33-year-old Raul Lopez Jr. with a van last month.

Roman Seabock, 20, was taken into custody without incident Tuesday after Richmond police served a search warrant at a family residence of Seabock’s in San Anselmo, police said.

Today, the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office filed one count of murder with an enhancement of the vehicle used as a weapon. His bail was set at $2 million, police said.

On Monday, March 21, police responded to the area of South 8th Street and Hoffman Boulevard on reports of a man down in the roadway, police said. Lopez Jr., a Richmond resident, was located and pronounced deceased at the scene.

Officers were unable to locate any witnesses or involved parties, but the day after the incident, police learned the incident was no accident, but rather an intentional act.

“Our homicide detectives worked with traffic investigators to locate multiple commercial videos in the area that put together a timeline and showed a portion of the incident,” police said. “Detectives were able to identify the vehicle and a license plate.”

A statewide “be on the lookout” was administered and it took about 24 hours for the vehicle to be found in unincorporated North Richmond, police said.

After working leads, detectives found additional video surveillance and identified Seabock as the owner of the van involved. Numerous interviews were conducted and additional electronic surveillance was located that confirmed Seabock as the suspect, police said.

A motive for the alleged killing hasn’t been released.