Richmond’s new ferry service to San Francisco will launch Thursday, Jan. 10.
The inaugural trip to San Francisco’s Ferry Building leaves at 6:10 a.m. Later that day from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m., the community is invited to the launch party, at The Craneway Pavilion, 1414 Harbour Way South.
The event will include speeches by local officials, a ribbon-cutting ceremony and short rides on the Ferry around the Richmond harbor, according to the online invitation. The Richmond High School Marching Band and Orchestra will perform during the event.
The ferry is operated by the Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA). Here’s WETA’s useful Q&A on the frequency and cost of the service:
- When will service begin? Service launches on January 10, 2019 at 6:10 a.m.
- How much will it cost? The adult cash fare will be $9, while Clipper Card users will receive a discounted adult fare of $6.75. The disabled, youth (5-18 years) and senior (65+) rate is $4.50. Click here for fare details.
- What will the ferry schedule be? See the Richmond schedule here. We are planning four runs from Richmond to San Francisco during morning commute hours and four runs from San Francisco to Richmond in the evening commute hours, with limited reverse commute service as well. Boats depart at the scheduled time. Boarding is first come, first served. Please arrive at the terminal and be ready to board at least five minutes prior to departure.
- How long is the ride? Transit time between Richmond and San Francisco is approximately 35 minutes.
- About our ferries San Francisco Bay Ferry carries 2.8 million customers a year on a fleet of 14 vessels (with more on the way). Learn more about the fleet.
- What is riding the ferry like? If you’ve never commuted by ferry, you’re in for a treat. All of our vessels offer comfortable seating, snack bars with beverage service, complimentary WiFi, restrooms, and are ADA accessible. Oh, there are also some pretty nice views. Questions about riding the ferry? Visit our FAQ/rider info page.
For information on schedules and service details visit here.