It’s that time of year when we all pitch in to beautify our coasts, creeks and trails.
Community volunteers are invited to join their neighbors in celebrating International Coastal Cleanup Day on Saturday, Sept. 21, by helping in clean up projects all over the East Bay.
Supervisor John Gioia is set to host his 29th annual community cleanup at Shimada Friendship Park in Richmond from 9 a.m. to noon. For more information about that event and others around the county, visit his newsletter here.
The East Bay Regional Park District is also seeking volunteers. The Parks District has selected 10 sites to hold cleanup events that include beaches, shoreline trails and inland lakes.
Volunteers at the East Bay parks events won’t only receive a thank you, they’ll also earn a great deal at Columbia Sportswear’s employee store in Richmond. The store is providing vouchers to all volunteers who can purchase current season merchandise from Columbia Sportswear, Mountain Hardwear, Sorel and prAna at 40-50 percent off regular prices. Items include clothing, footwear, accessories, sleeping bags, backpacks, tents and more, according to Park District.
The East Bay Parks’ coastal cleanup events (see list below) will run from 9 a.m. to noon. No registration is required, all events are drop-in. Volunteers are encouraged to bring a refillable water bottle, bucket for trash, hat, gloves and snacks. Snacks, water and trash bags will be provided.
Here are the locations for the cleanups.
– Bay Trail at Encinal Beach, Alameda – Behind Encinal High School.
– Big Break Regional Shoreline, Oakley – Big Break Visitor Center.
– San Pablo Regional Shoreline, Rodeo – Claeys Beach.
– Crown Memorial State Beach, Alameda – Near Intersection Of Park Street & Shoreline Drive.
– Del Valle Regional Park, Livermore – Fiesta Grande Picnic Site.
– Hayward Regional Shoreline, Hayward – West Winton Avenue Staging Area.
– Mlk, Jr. Regional Shoreline, Oakland – Oakport Street Staging Area.
– Point Isabel Regional Shoreline, Richmond – Rydin Road Staging Area.
– Point Pinole Regional Shoreline, Richmond – Giant Road Staging Area.
– Radke Martinez Regional Shoreline, Martinez – Parking Lot Off North Court St.