Suspect in attack at Richmond McDonald’s surrenders to police

0
8930
Richmond police search for suspect in attack on family at McDonald's
Photo of suspect courtesy of the Richmond Police Department

The suspect in the attack on a mother with her young children at a McDonald’s in Richmond last month surrendered without incident at the Richmond Police Department on Tuesday, police said.

Rhyan Hodge, 29 (Photo courtesy of RPD)

Rhyan Hodge, 29, of Bay Point, was subsequently charged by the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office with two counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of misdemeanor child endangerment, one felony county of assault likely to cause great bodily injury, and one felony count of leaving the scene of an accident.

The attack unfolded about 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 5, in the drive thru line at the McDonald’s at Macdonald Avenue and 23rd Street. The suspect accused the victim, a mother with her two children, of cutting in line while they were in the drive-thru line, police said.




 

“The alleged suspect was seen on cell phone video throwing items at a vehicle in the drive thru line and then ramming into the victim’s vehicle while her young children were inside of it,” police said. “After the cell phone video ends, the confrontation continued to where the victim was struck with the suspect’s vehicle and carried on the hood of the vehicle for approximately fifty (50) yards onto Nevin Ave before she was thrown from it.”

After the cellphone video went public, Richmond police investigators received community tips and leads, police said. 

“This crime was ultimately solved by the overwhelming support of our community and media partners, who, in partnership with the police department quickly identified the suspect and helped bring resolution to the victim and her family,” police said.