There is a month’s worth of cozy activities scheduled in Richmond in February, including exhibitions of art and books, storytelling, music and wine-tasting.
Our proof is listed below. Our gratitude to the Richmond Convention & Visitor’s Bureau, which put together this chronological listing of events that we hope our readers will find useful:
- Friday Feb. 3, 5:30 PM – 10 PM: Richmond Museum Association Fundraising Dinner “Revealing Hidden History.” A fundraiser to benefit the renovation of the museum’s permanent exhibit. Enjoy a fun, silent auction, dinner, dancing & remarks by Dr. Kent Lightfoot of UC Berkeley Richmond Country Club, 1 Markovich Lane, Richmond. Tickets $75 individual/$600 table. For information: (510) 235-7383.
- Saturday Feb. 4, 2 PM – 5 PM: Opening Reception For Winter Exhibitions. Exhibitions include: 21st Annual Art of Living Black, Marvin Lipofsky: Molten Matter/Fantastic Form and Teacher Is Artist: Study/AIC Faculty Show. Richmond Art Center, 2540 Barrett Avenue, Richmond. For information: (510) 620-6772/richmondartcenter.org.
- Sunday Feb. 5 and Sunday Feb. 12, M-F 10 AM – 4 PM/Sat Noon – 4 PM: AC5’s “About Face” Painting Workshop for Veteran’s. FREE. Showing through February 10, “Deatra Colbert” at Yali’s Café Stanley Hall. Through February 12, Sylvia Fragoso at the Good Luck Gallery, NIAD Art Center. 551 23rd Street, Richmond. For information: (510) 620-0290.
- Sunday Feb. 5 – Wednesday Feb. 8: CODEX 2017 – The 6th Biennial International Book Fair. Celebrating the Art of the Book In China. Tickets are $30 multi-day, $10 single day, $5 student (with ID). Craneway Pavilion, 1414 Harbour Way South, Richmond. For schedule and more information: codexfoundation.org.
- Friday Feb. 10, 7:30 PM: Point Richmond Acoustic Presents An Evening With Legendary Pete Rowan + special guests. Don’t miss this special evening with bona fide folk icon and giant of roots music Pete Rowan. Tickets are $20 -$25 and available at eventbrite.com. Historic First Methodist Church, 201 Martina Avenue, Point Richmond. For information: pointacoustic.org.
- Sunday Feb. 12, 1 PM – 4 PM: Oyster Sunday. Riggers Loft Wine Company, 1325 Canal Blvd, Richmond. For reservations email info@RBCellars.com.
- Sunday Feb. 12, 2 PM – 2:45 PM: National Park Service Centennial Celebration. (FREE). Join the National Park Service to commemorate 100 years of park history and discovering all the parks have to offer. Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park, Visitor Center, 1414 Harbour Way South, Suite 3000. For information: (510) 232-5050.
- Saturday Feb. 18, 2:30 PM – 4 PM: Jazz Art (FREE). Listen to acclaimed musicians and let their music inspire you to make art. Materials are provided by the Art Center, but feel free to bring your own. All ages. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. RSVP appreciated for groups larger than six by calling 510.620.6772 or sending an email to Education@RichmondArtCenter.org. Richmond Art Center, 2540 Barrett Avenue, Richmond. For information: (510) 620–6772/richmondartcenter.org.
- Friday Feb. 24, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM: Sip & Make. Join the Richmond Art Center after hours in the courtyard and galleries for an evening of music, art-making and warm tasty drinks. Richmond Art Center, 2540 Barrett Avenue, Richmond. For information: (510) 620–6772/richmondartcenter.org.
- Friday Feb. 24, 7 PM – 10 PM: Café Society’s Fourth Friday – Storytelling/Reading + Art. Café Society sponsors Fourth Fridays at Kaleidoscope Coffee in order to introduce café-going people to what’s happening now in the arts. All events begin with introductions & wine & coffee at 7:00 PM, presentations at 7:30 PM. Kaleidoscope Coffee, 109 Park Place, Point Richmond.
- Saturday Feb. 25, 11 AM: “The Importance of Being Local, For Design and Habitat” with Judith Lowry Larner of Larner Seeds. As author and owner of Larner Seeds, Larner has championed native plants in the landscape for 40 years. Come learn the reasons to use locally native plants in the habitat garden, from the perspectives of the purist, the bees, and the designer. Annie’s Annuals, 740 Market Avenue, Richmond. For information: (888) 266-4370