The 2016 Strictly Sail Pacific Boat Show, previously held at Jack London Square Marina in Oakland, has moved this year to a more spacious location that allows its exhibition to grow to more than 100 sailboats of every size and budget. Craneway Pavilion is located at 1414 Harbour Way S., and Marina Bay Yacht Harbor is nearby.
Sleek racers, catamarans, luxury yachts and dinghies will fill the waterfront, both in the Craneway and the harbor, organizers say. The show will include “all that is hot in the world of sailing including new sailboats, gear, accessories, hardware, more than 100 seminars, hands-on workshops, advanced sailing classes, stand up paddle board races, model boat races and more.”
Among the highlights, David Casper, former tight end for the Oakland Raiders and NFL Hall of Famer, is scheduled to hand out free life jackets for the first 100 visitors to show up at booth H11 in Craneway Pavilion on Saturday, from 10 a.m. to noon. The event is a boat safety promotion.
“Casper will share boating stories and participants are encouraged to bring their old life jackets to exchange for a free brand new Type-III PFD, courtesy of GetMyBoat and SailSFBay.org,” event organizers said.
Tickets for the Strictly Sail Pacific Boat Show can be purchased here. The cost of a one-day pass for an adult is $18, and $28 for two days.
“This new location allows us more space both inside for gear, equipment and seminars, as well as outside in the water to display all the new boats,” Sail America Association Manager Peter Durant said in a statement. “This new shoreline access also allows us to add several fun in-water activities.”
Here’s some of the fun activities featured at this year’s event:
- Stand Up Paddle Board Races – Get an early start to the day and enjoy the glassy waters of the bay by joining in on the Stand Up Paddle Board Race on Saturday, April 9, at 8 a.m. right in the Inner Harbor Basin at the show. Bring your own board or easily rent one in advance from 101 Surf Sports to participate. Whether you paddle or just want to watch, it’s a great way to start your Saturday. For board rental or more information, contact 101 Surf Sports at 101surfsports.com or call, 415/524-8492.
- Model Boat Races – Watch model boat racing in the Inner Harbor Basin at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. each day of the show. Cheer on these mini yachts as they make their way through the water to claim first place and learn about all the fun of model boat racing, courtesy of the Sacramento Model Yacht Club, the Elk Grove MYC and the North Bay RC Sailing Club.
- Berkeley High School and Sir Francis Drake High School Sailing Team’s Practice – Young sailors will delight Strictly Sail Pacific attendees as more than 30 sailors make their way through the waters for practice in front of the show on Thursday, April 7 and Friday, April 8, from 4:30-7:30 p.m.
- Author’s Corner – Check out the latest books from top sailing authors, chat with the experts, purchase a signed book and hear a tale or two about any number of sailing topics and adventures at the Author’s Corner.
- Dockside “Belly Biology” Program – Join marine science educators and the crew of the Derek M. Baylis sailing research vessel each day of the show, from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., for an at-the-dock science based program to learn about the health of San Francisco Bay and our oceans. Participants will collect specimens from the dock and the water and analyze their findings, courtesy of Wylie Charters and the crew of the Derek M. Baylis. (A $15 donation is suggested, but not required.
Photo courtesy of the Strictly Sail Pacific Facebook page.