Thursday, July 9, 2020

Community

View the latest community-related news in Richmond, CA.

Meet Felicia Phillips, Principal of Kennedy High School

Tell us about your job and your background. I am the principal at Kennedy High School. I actually am a graduate of Kennedy High myself, class of 1984. I had a passion for science, so...
San Pablo EDC offering free series of employment workshops

San Pablo EDC offering free series of employment workshops

The San Pablo Economic Development Corp. is offering a free series of employment workshops this week.  Along with a job training workshop today, there's a resume workshop on Wednesday, and a job search workshop on...

Richmond firefighter named hardest-working person in U.S.

A Richmond firefighter and cancer survivor is headed on an all-expenses paid vacation to Tahiti after being named the hardest-working person in the U.S. by United Airlines. Marcus Faumui was selected among 30,000 nominations for...

Mira Vista Fall Fest scares up spirited fun

By Kathy Chouteau Zombies, Black Panthers and scarecrows—oh my! Hundreds of families—and a zombie or two—flocked to the East Richmond Heights neighborhood Sat., Oct. 27 for the Mira Vista Fall Festival & Car Show and its...
Community invited to GRIP Harmony Walk to end hunger

Hundreds join Richmond walk to end hunger, homelessness

By Mike Kinney Hundreds of community members walked or ran through Richmond's streets on Saturday as part of a unified effort to end homelessness and hunger. It was the 32nd Annual GRIP Harmony Walk and 5K...

Grand opening date set for WIC facility in San Pablo

We were in San Pablo last year for the groundbreaking. On Tuesday, Nov. 20, we plan to also be there for the grand opening of the highly-anticipated new Women’s, Infants, and Children (WIC) building at...
Donations sought for annual charity benefiting Verde Elementary

Donations sought for annual charity benefiting Verde Elementary

The community is invited to Supervisor John Gioia's Open House Holiday Party on Thursday, Dec. 6, for a chance to support an annual charitable program providing books and hoodies to students of Verde Elementary...
Pride and Purpose in East Bay’s economic resurgence

Pride and Purpose in East Bay’s economic resurgence

When German-owned Audi unveiled its first electric car at The Craneway Pavilion in Richmond several weeks ago, at least one national media publication referred to the venue in its story as “San Francisco's Craneway...
Richmond High set to open pathway program for recent immigrant students

Richmond High to debut renovated theater tonight

The community is invited to help debut Richmond High School’s renovated theater tonight. At 7 p.m., the high school’s Creative And Performing Arts Academy will present the CAPA VAPA Gala. “Enjoy performances from the marching and...
The story behind Blue Apron's name

The story behind Blue Apron’s name

Ilia Papas, co-founder and CTO of Blue Apron, says the company wasn't always known by its catchy name. Once upon a time, the company was known as Part and Parsley. "Which was a pun on Part...

Latest Articles

Red Oak Victory procures long-sought-after WWII Navy deck gun

Red Oak Victory procures long-sought-after WWII Navy deck gun

By Kathy Chouteau On Wednesday, a new addition embarked on a trek to come aboard Richmond’s Red Oak Victory ship. A 40,000-pound World War II U.S....
East Bay ‘Battle of the Mayors’ aims to garner Census responses

East Bay ‘Battle of the Mayors’ aims to garner Census responses

By Kathy Chouteau A veritable “Battle of the Mayors” is underway in the East Bay and you can help Richmond “win.” Richmond Mayor Tom Butt has...
Local students win gold medals, scholarships in NAACP competition

Local students win gold medals, scholarships in NAACP competition

Two local high school students won gold medals and scholarships in the NAACP ACTSO competition, and will now represent Richmond in a national competition...