Police standoff in Parchester Village ends after 8 hours

Richmond: 8-hour police standoff ends without injury
This K-9 unit helped take the suspect into custody after the 8-hour standoff. Photo: Richmond Police Department

An eight-hour standoff ended without injury early Wednesday after a man barricaded himself in a Parchester Village home, where he threatened to shoot up the place, burn it down and went as far as to turn the gas on in the kitchen and light fireworks while indoors, police said.

The incident unfolded about 7:30 p.m. when officers responded to the 500 block of Williams Drive on a call of a possible residential burglary or robbery, Richmond police Lt. Felix Tan said.

When officers arrived, they saw the victim escape from her residence and learned the suspect was violating a restraining order by being there. The suspect broke into the residence, frightened the victim and then barricaded himself in the house, locking the doors after the victim managed to escape, Tan said.

“Officers trained in crisis negotiations began talking with the suspect immediately,” Tan said. “The suspect refused the officers’ plea to surrender peacefully, and even threatened several times to ‘shoot up’ the house.”

After the man turned on the gas in the kitchen, officers quickly turned off both gas and electricity to the house.

“Officers also heard several loud pops inside the house from fireworks set off by the suspect,” Tan said. “They also saw the suspect trying to light things on fire inside.”

After eight hours of negotiations, however, the suspect ceased communications, ad so at 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday a SWAT team entered the home and, with the help of a police K-9 unit, took the suspect into custody and booked him on numerous violations.

His identity wasn’t immediately available.


  1. Excellent work RPD! Despite the dangerous and volatile situation, no one was hurt. Very commendable. It is so good to see our police department continuing with these life saving policies. Our hats are off to our fine police force.