The couple that has won acclaim for successfully re-building Richmond’s tennis courts and programs have announced the completion of two re-constructed courts at Nichol Park.
Point Richmond residents Garry and Maryn Hurlbut said the court rehabilitation project at 3230 Macdonald Ave. was funded by a $10,000 grant from the U.S. Tennis Association, along with a $2,888 donation from their group, the award-winning Richmond Tennis Association.
“There are now six courts available at Nichol Park which will allow the Richmond tennis programs to continue to grow and meet the needs of our Richmond adults and youths in their pursuit of active and healthy lifestyles,” according to the Hurlbuts.
The completion of the Nichol Park facility follows the July 15 celebration of the rehabilitated tennis courts at the Richmond Plunge in Point Richmond, which have been further augmented by a gorgeous garden nearby.
“Thanks to Garry and Maryn Hurlbut and other hardworking volunteers, youth tennis rocks in Richmond,” Mayor Butt said in his e-forum newsletter.
Meanwhile, here’s a list of recent accomplishments by the Richmond Tennis Association members:
- On Memorial Day weekend, RTA’s Dil Chitaure achieved the #1 USTA Northern California 3.5 Ranking with his Memorial Day Weekend Tournament victory!!
- In April, the four RTA Richmond playoff teams played some great tennis:
- The RTA Men’s team won a nail biter 1st round playoff match against the Oakland Davie Stadium team as Tom Treynor and Ben Chuaqui fought off two match points to win the deciding line as we won the match, 3-2, and moved on to the League Championship match versus the Claremont Resort and Spa team on 4/15.
- In March, for of the RTA five Adult teams finished off their regular season and made into their respective league championship playoffs.
- In March PLAYOFFS: The RTA 4.0 Men’s team beat Laney, 2-1, and will face Davie Stadium; the RTA Men’s team beat Salesian, 3-0, and will face Claremont Resort and Spa; the RTA Women’s team lost to Laney, 1-2, but made the playoffs against Salesian
- The RTA Women swept Berkeley Tennis Club, 3-0, and will face Salesian
- The RTA Men beat Salesian, 2-1, but lost to Claremont R&S, 1-2, to get knocked out of playoff contention.