Aug 17, 2016
No comments

Local school officials are encouraging fathers and other male guardians and mentors to take part in the Million Father March on Monday, Aug. 22, when they are asked to take children to school.

About 700 cities are expected to participate in what could be the largest organized back-to-school effort in U.S. history, according to the West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD).

DeJean Middle School plans to hold activities in conjunction with the Million Father March. School begins at 8:30 a.m. and a few hours of activities for families will begin at 8:45 a.m.

You don’t have to necessarily be a father to participate. The event also includes grandfathers, foster fathers, stepfathers, uncles, cousins, big brothers, significant male caregivers, and friends of the family.

In addition, employers were asked to give fathers and men two hours of paid-time off  to take their children to school.

Participants will be encouraged to volunteer at school throughout the year.

“Gang recruitment, bullying and random violence goes way down on any day that a group of men are at a school,” says Phillip Jackson, Executive Director of The Black Star Project, U.S.A., which is sponsoring the national event.

Jackson also said research shows children whose fathers take an active role in their educational lives earn better grades, are more likely to graduate and have fewer behavior problems.

For information about Lovonya DeJean Middle School’s participation in this event, you may visit the school’s website at, email to or call 510-231-1430.


About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.