Jan 25, 2016
No comments

Richmond’s up-and-coming boxer Luis Garcia says he is looking to get back in the ring after battling to a draw last fall.

Garcia (3-0-1, 2KOs) took part in what was called the most competitive bout at The Battle for Golden State at Richmond Memorial Auditorium in November. But he had what he called a disappointing start against Jonathan Zamudio (1-2-3), who reportedly outboxed Garcia in the first round and dropped him in the second round, according to Inside the Ropes, a boxing publication.

Garcia bounced back to win the final two rounds, and at one point he knocked Zamudio’s mouth piece out.

That was enough to earn the draw, but still Garcia called it a “disappointing performance” in a newly published interview by Inside the Ropes (see video above).

Garcia said he took the fight too lightly and also mentioned he’s been nursing a hand injury from a previous fight in Tijuana, Mexico.

Garcia also said he’d be willing to battle Zamudio again in front of Richmond fans.


About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.