Oct 30, 2015

A 50-year-old Richmond man who was called a “pillar of the community” for his efforts to help others after his release from prison in 2013 was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of sexually assaulting three underage victims multiple times, KTVU (Ch. 2) has reported.

Barry Dugar is the CEO of The Remember Us Peoples’ Project (TRUPP), what he describes as a local nonprofit organization providing transitional housing for the recently incarcerated. Police told KTVU that Dugar runs a group home for boys ages 16 to 25 even though he is a registered sex offender. He also operates transitional housing for parolees and a shelter for battered women, according to the report.

Three victims, two of whom are Kennedy High students who called Dugar their transitional home guardian, claim Dugar sexually assaulted them “several times in several different locations,” Richmond Police Sgt. Matt Stonebreaker told KTVU.

Police also say Dugar may have been illegally operating TRUPP.

“He doesn’t have a license with the state of California, Contra Costa County or the city of Richmond. So we’re taking that very seriously right now, because we don’t know how he’s able to operate,” Stonebreaker told KTVU.

Dugar was convicted in 2009 and served time in San Quentin for offenses including committing lewd or lascivious acts with a child under age 14, police told the news station. His home address at 155 S. 41st St. is but a 30-second walk from an elementary school, KTVU pointed out. Police say he was allowed to live that close because he was not on supervised parole or probation and had dutifully registered as sex offender.

Despite his past conviction, Dugar’s arrest will likely come as a shock to many in the community who supported his nonprofit, which runs several transitional homes for youth and adults. The Prison Reentry Network stated on its website that it was proud to support TRUPP. Last year, the Nutiva Foundation joined community members to landscape one of TRUPP’s transitional homes and build a garden (see video above). KALX 90.7 FM produced a positive story on Dugar last year.

The photo above appeared on Dugar’s Facebook page.


  1. Why did you remove this video?

    Wish you had talked about the 25K the radio news said Jovanka Beckles helped get for this guy.

    Jessie West | Nov 6th, 2015
  2. We didn’t remove the video. The video was removed by the original poster.

    Mike Aldax | Nov 6th, 2015

About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.