Sep 29, 2015
1 comment

Sorry, folks. A third eastbound lane on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge has no chance of opening this week, as once hoped by Assemblyman Marc Levine, according to the Marin Independent Journal.

Levine, D-San Rafael, introduced legislation in August aiming to force Caltrans to open a third eastbound lane to vehicles by Sept. 30, at least on a temporary basis until design work and environmental review continues on a permanent solution. But this week, he informed the IJ that his legislation has stalled.

In fact, “his bill may not be heard until January as it still sits in a committee,” the IJ reported.

Caltrains is overseeing an ongoing project to open a third eastbound lane, but it isn’t expected to be completed until 2017. Levine believes that’s too long for morning commuters who have endured increasing gridlock. He says the bridge was designed for three lanes in each direction.

Caltrans says opening the third lane is not as simple as it sounds. The current shoulder, once on land in Richmond, reduces in width from 10 feet to 2, which would create a bottleneck, the transit agency said.


  1. Opening the 3rd land “would create a bottleneck”…really?? Has cal trans experienced the current “bottleneck” that is getting on the bridge during commute hours? It just took me 1 hour to get from the ferry building to the bridge.

    Patrick | Dec 16th, 2015

About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.