Inspired by the NFL’s “No More” campaign that aired during games last season, Contra Costa County is launching its own public service announcement by asking local high school football players to similarly speak out against domestic violence and sexual assault.
High school football coaches in the county are receiving letters this month inviting their teams to take part in the “Contra Costa Says No More” campaign, a county effort that coincides with Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October.
Students who agree to participate will appear in a video similar to one produced by the NFL’s popular “No More” campaign (see below). In the campaign, star players expressed intolerance to statements used to downplay or justify domestic violence and sexual assault incidents.
The county’s local version of the “No More” campaign will be showcased at the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisor’s Oct. 20 meeting, at which point the program will be expanded to include more local high school athletes.
The replication of the No More campaign is occurring in communities nationwide, part of a growing effort where young people have been encouraged to become part of the solution.
In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month last year, members of the football teams at Acalanes, College Park and DeAnza High Schools wore purple ribbons on their helmets during home games.
Supervisor John Gioia has applauded the program, saying in a statement that it comes at a time when too many domestic violence and sexual assault cases involve professional athletes who are also role models to young athletes.
For more information on how to participate, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on county programs aimed at ending domestic violence and sexual assault, visit the Zero Tolerance for Domestic Violence Initiative website at www.contracostazt.org, or call 925-313-1591.
The photo above is of William Gay, a cornerback with the Pittsburgh Steelers, courtesy of NoMore.org.
Crime | Oct 20, 2015
A 31-year-old Richmond woman was sentenced to 21 years in state prison Tuesday for fatally shooting a 16-year-old ex-boyfriend who …
Jobs | Jan 26, 2016
Starting Feb. 1, Chevron will begin accepting applications for Operator Trainee positions at the Richmond Refinery, the company announced today. …
Crime | Nov 18, 2015
The woman pictured is wanted by police in connection with the violent robbery of an El Cerrito High student on …
Crime | Jul 14, 2015
A man was killed and a 17-year-old critically injured after shots rang out at the Monterey Pines Apartments complex in …
Crime | Sep 6, 2016
The community is mourning the deaths of an 18-year-old and her unborn child following a shooting in San Pablo Monday …
Recent News | Feb 7, 2014
Although the US Postal Service says only a small percentage of packages end up lost or delayed at its national …