Sep 3, 2015

An 85-year-old El Cerrito man opened fire on two burglars, striking one in the head, after they broke into his home Wednesday morning, police said.

The resident said he was alone at his home about 11:15 a.m. on Cutting Boulevard just east of Arlington Boulevard when he spotted the suspicious people in his backyard, and then armed himself, police said.  When the intruders entered his home by breaking in through the back door, the resident came face-to-face with the suspects and opened fire.

The suspects fled the home on foot and in a car, as the resident awaited the arrival of police. Soon after, responding officers located one of the suspects on Key Boulevard, near the Del Norte BART Station, and discovered he had been shot in the head. The suspect, identified as Shawn Mulberry, 34, of Oakland, was transported to the hospital in serious condition.

The other suspect remains at large, and police are looking into whether additional suspects were involved. The vehicle used in the getaway was described as a white or gray sedan, police said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the El Cerrito Police Department at 510-215-4400 and ask to speak with a detective.


  1. […] El Cerrito, California, two burglars broke down the door of an 85-year-old man who immediately surrendered a bullet […]

    pingback Friday morning feel good stories : This ain't Hell, but you can see it from here | Sep 4th, 2015
  2. I am so happy, so happy, I am crying. That senior did good, so good. I really appreciate his protection. I am a cripple senior who lives single. Last week, over three days, my order of five packages came to my door by delivery…before I could get the packages they were stolen and I live in the EC hills too. I was told there is a ring going around doing this, following the delivery truck. I felt so frightened. So scared because anyone that bold, because my ramp is 13 feet to my front door inside my gate, anyone that bold may decide to do something else. But that senior citizen put something on some minds, I’ll tell ya. THANK YOU VETERAN. OUR HERO.

    Margaret Opine | Oct 25th, 2015

About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.