The alleged burglar who was shot in the head by an 85-year-old El Cerrito homeowner on Sept. 2 was booked into County Jail last week after being released from the hospital, police said Wednesday.
Shawn Marbley, 34, a parolee from Oakland, had been under 24-hour police guard at the hospital to ensure no possibility of escape, according to El Cerrito police. On Sept. 7, he was transported to the Contra Costa County Detention Facility, where he was booked on suspicion of burglary and a parole violation.
The burglary occurred at about 11:30 a.m. Sept. 2. The 85-year-old resident said he was in his home on Cutting Boulevard just east of Arlington Boulevard when he spotted two suspicious people in his backyard and armed himself. When the intruders entered the home by breaking through the back door, the resident came face-to-face with the suspects and opened fire, police said.
The suspects fled the home on foot and in a car, as the resident awaited the arrival of police. Soon after, responding officers located Mulberry on Key Boulevard, near the Del Norte BART Station, and discovered he had been shot in the head. Mulberry initially tried to flee police and when he was caught he gave them a false name, police said.
The other suspect remains at large, and investigators were looking into whether additional suspects were involved. The vehicle used in the getaway was described as a white or gray sedan, police said.
Anyone with information about the case is encouraged to call El Cerrito police at (510) 215-4400.