Jul 23, 2015
No comments

Two locals have been charged in connection with a string of violence in Richmond last weekend that included a pair of gang-related shootings injuring three people, as well as a third incident during which bullets were fired in the direction of cops on Macdonald Avenue, police said Thursday.

The suspects were identified as Nicole Dato, 35, of Richmond and Pedro Gomez, 31, of San Pablo.

Gomez allegedly shot and injured two people at 6:25 p.m. Saturday at Miller Knox Park, police said. Then on Sunday about 6:23 a.m., a ShotSpotter activation alerted police to multiple shots in the area of 21st Street and Roosevelt Avenue, where a person survived a bullet wound to his neck. Dato and Gomez fled that shooting scene in a vehicle, but were being trailed by a witness to the incident, police said.

Dato, who was driving, went eastbound nearing the 3800 block of Macdonald Avenue, where police officers had been working an unrelated burglary. As Dato drove passed the officers, Gomez began shooting in the direction of the officers and witness, police said.  One of the officers responded by firing at the suspect vehicle, but no one was injured during the exchange, police said.

The pursuit continued to the area of San Pablo and Macdonald avenues, where the pair finally surrendered and was taken into custody without further incident.

Since then, the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office have filed charges against them.

Gomez was charged with three counts of attempted murder: two for the Miller Knox Park shooting and the third for the incident at 21st and Roosevelt. He was also charged with gang and firearm enhancements.

Dato was charged with one count of attempted murder connected with the 21st and Roosevelt shooting.

Both Gomez and Dato were additionally charged with shooting at an occupied vehicle and enhancements.

The pair remain in custody. Anyone with information regarding either incident is asked to call Richmond Police Department Detective Eric Haupt at 510-620-6541.


About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.