Jul 22, 2015
No comments

A Richmond man forced a woman to live in a closet in an Iron Triangle home and abused her daily for about a year before his recent arrest, police said Tuesday.

Detectives working out of the new West Contra Costa Family Justice Center recently received a voicemail from a Homeland Security agent about a woman who was being held against her will, police said. They were also notified by STAND! advocates.

The 35-year-old suspect, identified as Eulogio Constantino-Sanchez of Richmond, had lured the woman from Nicaragua after meeting her on Facebook and promising she would have work and a better life in the U.S., police said. Once here, she was sexually and physically abused on a daily basis for about one year.

After being notified about the possible human trafficking case, Richmond detectives managed to get the victim on the phone and assist federal agents in swarming the residence where she was being held captive, police said. Constantino-Sanchez and a male relative were arrested at the residence, where the victim was found.

The arrests occurred within 12 hours of detectives being notified about the abuse, police said.

“Evidence at the residence confirmed all the information the detectives had obtained,” police said.

Constantino-Sanchez was booked for kidnapping, rape, corporal injury, false imprisonment and conspiracy charges, and he is currently in custody at the Martinez Detention Facility, Lt. Felix Tan said.

No further details were released due to the case’s sensitive nature, Tan said. The Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office and U.S. Attorney’s Office are reviewing the case for possible prosecution, he said.


About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.