Richmond police are investigating a robbery series during the past several weeks committed by several men in their early 20s or 30s who wear dark clothing to obscure their faces, police said.
“Victims have been approached who are walking and talking on their cell phones, entering and exiting vehicles, and entering their homes,” police said. “Often the suspects approach victims from behind. In some cases, iPhones were taken.”
Richmond police have announced a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the robbers.
“Please spread the word to your neighbors,” police added.
Residents seeing suspicious persons or activity are advised to immediately report it to the police department (510) 233-1214 #1. Anyone with information regarding these crimes is encouraged to contact Det. Rivera at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 621-1755.
What you can do:
– Pay attention to your surroundings, especially when entering and exiting your vehicles or homes, or when walking.
– Do not carry valuable items in plain view.
– If you see something suspicious, report it to the police. You can report anonymously. (510) 233-1214 #0 or call 911 for crimes in progress.
– Avoid texting and talking while walking. Find a safe space to use your phone.
– Avoid wearing headphones while walking that prevent you from hearing. When possible, walk with a friend.
– If you feel you are being followed and can get to a safe space where there are people, do so. If you are approached, comply with what is asked of you.