Mayor Tom Butt is not a fan of the City of Richmond’s current logo, even after reading council meeting minutes from 1977 to learn what it’s supposed to represent.
Mayor Butt told San Francisco Chronicle columnist Chip Johnson, “I hate the logo, and think it’s incredibly ugly,” adding, “Some people think it’s a bird.”
The city clerk dug up meeting minutes from June 20, 1977, when the logo letterhead designs were unanimously adopted. The mayor published parts of those minutes on his e-forum.
The logo was intended to use color and form to express the city’s maritime future, and here’s how:
1) The form approximates the shape of the Pacific Ocean.
2) The arrow shape indicates the thrust into the pacific of the port Development. The line used in the letterhead indicates rail support to the Port Activity.
3) The point of the arrow approximates the shape of a sail boat, with a wake trailing behind.
4) The blue symbolizes the maritime future of the City and the red brick the color of City Hall and new construction.
5) The three shapes making up the basic form include a hill shape (Hilltop), a boat hull shape (The Harbour), and an “S” shape for the City’s regional service activities (Downtown).
Butt’s reaction to this list?
“Maybe it’s time for a new [logo].”
As we reported just a few days ago, the mayor has been raising private money for a marketing campaign to improve the city’s image.
Crime | Oct 20, 2015
A 31-year-old Richmond woman was sentenced to 21 years in state prison Tuesday for fatally shooting a 16-year-old ex-boyfriend who …
Jobs | Jan 26, 2016
Starting Feb. 1, Chevron will begin accepting applications for Operator Trainee positions at the Richmond Refinery, the company announced today. …
Crime | Nov 18, 2015
The woman pictured is wanted by police in connection with the violent robbery of an El Cerrito High student on …
Crime | Jul 14, 2015
A man was killed and a 17-year-old critically injured after shots rang out at the Monterey Pines Apartments complex in …
Crime | Sep 6, 2016
The community is mourning the deaths of an 18-year-old and her unborn child following a shooting in San Pablo Monday …
Recent News | Feb 7, 2014
Although the US Postal Service says only a small percentage of packages end up lost or delayed at its national …