A statement from Cynthia Haden, the chair of the Richmond Main Street Initiative Board of Directors:
Greetings from the Board and staff of the Richmond Main Street Initiative!
2014 is almost over and boy has it been a big one, full of tremendous excitement and positive happenings in downtown. Today we invite you to check out our accomplishments and ensure even more impactful work in 2015 by making your end of year donation to Richmond Main Street Initiative.
In 2014, Richmond Main Street Initiative:
- Dedicated the new mural “Alive & Free” on Macdonald Avenue;
- Hosted 4 Healthy Village Farm Stand events in the Community Green Space, providing access to healthy foods and resources to 700 residents;
- Brought live music and 2,000+ visitors to downtown with 2 Music on the Main concerts and the 6th Annual Spirit & Soul Festival;
- Created vendor opportunities for 28 local businesses and 34 organizations;
- Provided technical assistance to local entrepreneurs through 11 Small Business Assistance workshops and the annual Small Business Bootcamp;
- Continued to sponsor the weekly Farmers Market from May – November attracting 13,000 people to the market in 2014;
- Delivered over 165 free fitness classes to over 500 adults and children;
- Trained 15 youth aged 15-21 in entrepreneurship and job readiness (8 of whom secured jobs with a local retailer!);
- Welcomed 12 new businesses to downtown.
We have made great strides in revitalizing downtown by increasing foot traffic and engaging stakeholders. We are working diligently to attract more businesses to downtown and we are proud to announce that there are many promising opportunities on the horizon.
But there is more work to be done and we can’t do it alone.
Your support will help us build a healthy, vibrant downtown in 2015 and beyond.
Join our efforts by making your gift today.
Cynthia Haden, Chair