Nov 12, 2014
No comments

A man in his 70s and another in his 40s suffered from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the garage of their San Pablo home Wednesday morning.

The fire broke out at 7:18 a.m. in the converted garage of the single-family home at 1858 18th St., said Inspector Lisa Martinez with the Contra Costa Fire Protection District.

When crews arrived, they saw smoke coming from the front of the 900-square-foot home and found the man in his 40s out front suffering from smoke inhalation, Martinez said. That man had been attempting to rescue the man in his 70s from the side window of a bedroom.

Firefighters managed to pull the older man from the side window, and in good time because the blaze was reportedly spreading to other rooms. Both men suffered from smoke inhalation and were transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Martinez said.

No other homes were damaged by the fire.

The blaze, which caused up to $75,000 in damages, apparently began in a clothes dryer located in the garage, Martinez said.

“Dryer fires are common because people don’t clean out their lint traps,” the inspector said.

Martinez encourages the public to regularly unplug their dryers in order to clear out the lint in the dryer traps.

“A clue is if it’s taking more than one cycle to dry your clothes, you probably have a lot of lint in there and it’s time to clean it out,” Martinez said.

The men who lived in the home will now stay with family, she added.


About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.