May 30, 2014
1 comment

A Richmond father is accused of attacking an 11-year-old special education student on a school bus Thursday, as he reportedly believed the child was bullying his son.

The alleged attack was reported at 9:11 a.m. Thursday in the 900 block of Carlson Boulevard, Sgt. Nicole Abetkov said.

The suspect, 44-year-old Burnis Hurd, was reportedly told by his 9-year-old son, also a special education student, that the older boy had been picking on him. Hurd allegedly assaulted the 11-year-old when the school bus came to pick up his son, Abetkov said. After the incident, Abetkov added, the bus driver drove to the special education program at Wilson Elementary School without reporting the incident to the school district.

The 11-year-old boy had a small cut on his neck and did not require medical attention, the police spokesperson said.

Hurd was arrested later in the day and booked on suspicion of felony battery.


  1. And what about the bus driver? Is anything going to happen to him? His job pretty much entitles keeping our children safe from the time he picks them up until the time he drops them off. I can understand that he may have not known what that parents intentions were but he should have called the police once it happened and then reported it to the school district.

    CHRISTINE | May 31st, 2014

About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.