by Councilman Tom Butt (from the councilman’s e-forum)
The City of Richmond will save almost $60,000 in electricity costs in 2014 because its supplier is Marin Clean Energy. And West Contra Costa Unified School District expects an even greater savings, approximately $66,000. Projections indicate $5.9 million in savings for all MCE customers in 2014. 85-percent of Richmond households are currently subscribed to MCE.
Also, sign here [to oppose Assembly Bill 2145]. Opportunities for savings and green energy will go away if AB 2145 is passed. Please sign the petition to oppose Assembly Bill 2145. This bill will cripple the Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) program, a key to bringing clean energy to communities in California.
Use this link for a brief overview of CCA program and how AB 2145 causes a threat.
Here are updates on AB 2145 and a summary of where things stand:
- February 20, 2014: Assembly Bill 2145 introduced by Assembly Member Steven Bradford
- The bill is designed to favor investor-owned utility industry and will fundamentally change the way Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) works, making it harder to launch and operate.
- April 16, 2014: The petition was sent to the members of the Assembly Utilities & Commerce Committee through their Chiefs of Staff
- April 28, 2014: The bill passed the Utilities and Commerce Committee
- The bill now sits with the Appropriations Committee which is expected to rule on May 21st. In principle, Appropriations Committee rules based on the bill’s affordability or a cost/benefit analysis.
- If the bill passes Appropriations, it’s to the floor of the Assembly.
- As of now, more than 475 concerned Californians have signed the petition. On May 28th, the petition will be sent to the Assembly Leaders with an updated list of signatures.
Your continued support is needed:
- Please forward this message and the link for the petition to your friends: http://www.climatecurious.us/petitionoppose-ab-2145/
- Send tweet messages to the Governor and Assembly Member Leaders to oppose AB-2145: http://www.climatecurious.us/petitionoppose-ab-2145/tweet-save-cca/
- Contact your Assembly Member and express opposition. Use this link to find your representative and their contact details: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/