The architects of a renovated historic building in Richmond have won a design award from the San Francisco chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
The rehabilitation of the Richmond Maritime Child Development Center at 1014 Florida Ave. earned the Honor Award for Historic Preservation.
The building reopened in 2011 following a significant renovation that earned LEED Gold standard for sustainable design. The design for the smart and modern facility was done by San Francisco-based Hamilton + Aitken Architects.
During World War II, the building was a busy childcare center that cared for the children of “Rosie the Riveter” mothers. The women worked in the Kaiser shipyard to support the war effort. The building, which is part of the Rosie the Riveter World War II Home Front Memorial National Park, closed in 2004 but was resurrected with help from federal funding.
The building is currently home to the Richmond Community Foundation’s administrative offices as well as K-5 charter school Richmond College Prep. Check out these great pictures of the building post-renovation.