Feb 13, 2014
No comments

In the comings weeks, Richmond Main Street Initiative representatives say they will reveal the name of the full-service restaurant that is reportedly coming to downtown Richmond.

The nonprofit, which is spearheading a City Council-approved effort to revitalize downtown, says $34.7 million in physical improvements were made last year and claims the investment has made the corridor more attractive to businesses.

In its blog, the nonprofit For Richmond covered the Richmond Main Street Initiative’s Jan. 29 stakeholder meeting, where the recent downtown improvements were heralded.

Click on this picture slideshow of the various events and major structural improvements that occurred last year. Such improvements, paid for through federal, state and local funding sources, included the completion of the BART barking garage, a new Burger King façade and a street banner project. Private security was reportedly hired and police and code enforcement officials have also helped to address graffiti,  dumping and other crimes.

“Downtown feels safer,” Outreach Coordinator Alicia Gallo said at last month’s stakeholder meeting, according to For Richmond.

Among the future improvements, mural panels will be erected later this spring on Harbour Way and MacDonald Avenue, said Amanda Elliott, the Main Street Initiative’s executive director.

In August, the West County Times reported that progress on the downtown corridor was “mixed,” noting that attracting businesses had remained challenging.

Elliott said the incoming restaurant shows her group is doing its “part to make new business a reality.”


About the Author

Mike Aldax is the editor of the Richmond Standard. He has 13 years of journalism experience, most recently as a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He previously held roles as reporter and editor at Bay City News, Napa Valley Register, Garden Island Newspaper in Kaua’i, and the Queens Courier in New York City.